Our plan for a stronger economy is securing a fair share to build a stronger regional Australia.
This means we can provide tax relief to reward hard working regional Australians and invest in local infrastructure, industry and family businesses to grow communities and create more jobs. It also means we can guarantee the essential services that regional communities deserve, like more rural doctors. And our plan will keep Australians safe, with secure borders and safer communities.
Key initiatives in our plan include:
- Delivering the roads and rail networks regional Australians need now and into the future.
- Putting more highly qualified doctors and nurses into the regions where they are needed.
- Supporting older Australians by guaranteeing essential services.
- Supporting young people to work and stay in the regions.
- Keeping Australians safe; providing security and opportunity for regional households.
- $95.4 million to establish a Murray-Darling Medical School Network to support end-to-end training for rural students to study medicine in the regions.
- An additional 500 Commonwealth supported bachelor places for students studying in regional areas.
- $1.4 billion for new lifesaving and life changing medicines, for breast cancer and spinal muscular atrophy.
- $338.1 million in new mental health funding, with a focus on suicide prevention, and research for older Australians.
- $84 million for the Royal Flying Doctor Service to provide critical dental, mental and ambulance services in the most underserviced rural and remote regions.
- $3.5 billion Roads of Strategic Importance initiative (including $1.5 billion for roads in Northern Australia) which will upgrade key freight corridors in regional Australia.
- Upgrades to the Bruce, Pacific and Princes Highways to keep regional Australians safe on the roads
- Better freight links and port access for our primary producers.
- $160.9 million for a satellite based system to give regional families and businesses better GPS access and more accurate data.
- Continuing to invest in the Melbourne to Brisbane Inland Rail line, connecting regional Australians with export opportunities.
- $51.3 million for more agricultural counsellors to help farmers enter new export markets.
- $121.6 million to boost Australia’s bio security, protecting Australian farmers’ clean, green status.
- $20 million for new Export Hubs to help local businesses gain access to overseas markets.
- $20 million for a National Forestry Plan to drive the industry forward and create jobs.
- Tax relief of up to $530 for middle and low income earners now.
- Making sure more Australians pay less tax by making personal taxes simpler, fairer and flatter.
- Extending the $20,000 instant asset write-off for small businesses for another year.
- Over $500 million to protect the Great Barrier Reef and the regional tourism jobs it supports.
- Extending the Stronger Communities Programme to help deliver social benefits across regional Australia.
- Investing a further $200 million into the Building Better Regions Fund to deliver more regional jobs and investment.
- Better access to aged care services, through an additional 14,000 home care packages and 13,500 residential places.
- $33 million for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children to receive hearing and vision assessments.